Feed aggregator

Italy economy minister cancels Paris meeting over migrant spat

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 10:27

Italy's Economy Minister Giovanni Tria cancelled a meeting with his French counterpart in Paris on Wednesday as a diplomatic row spiralled over Rome's refusal to take in an overcrowded migrant ship. "The minister #GiovanniTria has cancelled his meeting with the French Minister of the Economy and Finance (Bruno) #LeMaire," his ministry said on Twitter. The tweet confirmed that Tria's meeting with German Economy Minister Olaf Scholz scheduled for Thursday would go ahead in Berlin.


15 Tweets About Kids Taking Over Father's Day

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 10:18

Father's Day is a time for gifts, silence and relaxation ― or, in reality, the


Bleak New Figures Show Just How Unaffordable Rent Is In Every U.S. State

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 10:01

A staggering gap between wages and the cost of rental housing across America


Trump says Kim 'loves his people.' Human rights groups beg to differ.

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 09:57

President Trump emerged from his historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Tuesday by heaping praise on a dictator who is considered among the worst human rights abusers in the world.


South Sudan rebel leader to attend talks with president in Addis Ababa

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 09:39

South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar has accepted an invitation from the Ethiopian Prime Minister to talks with South Sudanese president Salva Kiir in Addis Ababa next week, a spokesman for Machar said on Wednesday. "The Movement welcomes this invitation ... it will go a long way in building confidence in the peace process," the spokesman said in an emailed statement. The statement said Machar, who is under house arrest in South Africa, had been invited by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to attend the talks on June 20.


In Macedonia, scepticism and hope as country set to change its name

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 09:09

By Marko Djurica SKOPJE (Reuters) - The "Republic of Northern Macedonia" - the proposed new name for the country once part of Yugoslavia - is meant to settle a diplomatic standoff with Greece, but will not satisfy some nationalists on either side of the border. When it declared independence in 1991, many Greeks felt the country had hijacked their ancient cultural heritage as Macedonia is the birthplace of Alexander the Great as well as the name of a province in northern Greece. The new name, agreed by politicians from both countries on Tuesday, should end decades of diplomatic conflict and make it easier for Macedonia to join the European Union and NATO.


Ring Alarm home security system now available for presale and will ship on July 4

Macworld - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 09:00
The long-delayed DIY home security system costs $199, with optional professional monitoring for $10 per month.

'Sleep well tonight!': Trump promptly declares North Korea no longer a nuclear threat

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 08:00

Some aren't accepting President Trump's assurances on his return from the summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.


'Selfie death' as British woman plummets 30 metres from picturesque sea wall

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 07:18

A British woman plunged to her death, along with her partner, while taking a selfie on a picturesque wall in Portugal, according to local authorities. Perth man Michael Kearns, 33, Louise Benson, 37, his British partner, fell 30 metres off a beach wall and were found by shocked locals early on Tuesday morning. His mother confirmed to local media that she had been notified of his death in the early hours of the morning in Perth. She said the couple had left Australia in January on a holiday and had attended a friend’s wedding in Portugal in recent weeks. A mobile phone was found on the top of the wall overlooking the beach in the seaside town of Ericeira, where the bodies of the couple were found on Tuesday morning. Rui Pereira da Terra, the captain of the maritime authority in Cascais, said the two victims appeared to have lost their balance while taking a photograph overlooking Fishermen’s Beach. Louise Benson fell to her death “Everything seems to indicate that the fall happened when they were probably trying to take a selfie,” he said. "As we found a mobile phone on the wall, our theory is that they were taking a selfie, but they dropped the phone and leaned to grab it and fell," Mr Pereira da Terra told the Portuguese Lusa news agency. Locals have said the wall is dangerous, and have asked for something to be done about it. Pedro Fernandes Tomas wrote on Facebook: "With the fall of a couple of tourists from the cliff of fishermen's beach in ericeira (30 meters high) it is urgent to rethink the security of that area. The locals know about the danger there, low wall and no protection net. "With the growing influx of tourists there are measures that need to be taken, from the case I have already mentioned, but also at the level of regulation and effective monitoring of the numerous economic activities operating in the tourism sector. " The fishing village Ericeira Credit: Martin Zwick/REDA&CO/UIG via Getty Images Susana Esmareldo agreed, writing: "I agree with you Pedro. I've always thought there's a protection net missing, because the wall is low. I hope that action will be taken in the resolution of a protection policy." Ericeira is a popular tourist town around 25 miles northwest of Lisbon. The accident is believed to have occurred between 1.00am and 6.00pm. The bodies were reportedly found by a council beach cleaner, who alerted the authorities at 6.30am. The police inspected the scene and quickly ruled out any suspicions of foul play, Mr Pereira da Terra said. The bodies were taken to the Institute of Legal Medicine in Torres Vedras Photographs of the accident scene showed two bodies covered in white sheets on the sand close together at the foot of the wall near a sign warning of the possibility of loose stones falling onto the beach.   The Foreign Office confirmed the woman involved in the tragic accident was British, and told The Telegraph: "We are in touch with local authorities following the death of a British woman in Portugal and are providing support to her family’." Friend, John Keogh, paid tribute to Louise Benson on Facebook: "It can be such a cruel world we live in. RIP Louise Benson yet again another great soul took away (sic) from us far too early. My condolences to all the family and loved ones." Liz Catchpole wrote: "No words can describe what we have lost. Louise Benson you had a passion for life. I will never forget you rocking up to The Adventure Club to do your DMT.. A quiet, not for long tho, Bristol girl who just loved life. Your smile infectious, your laugh amazing, your friendship invaluable ... in shock and speechless, you will be missed and I will miss you so much."    


10 Father’s Day gift ideas for the Apple-loving dad

Macworld - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 07:00
Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular

Image by Apple

Yeah, we know, we recommended this watch for mom, too. But hey, the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular is a great wearable for mom and dad. The built-in LTE lets dad call or text you, mom, or anyone else, and you don’t need the iPhone nearby. If dad likes to work out, he can use the activity tracker to check his progress. (Or maybe he’d like the Apple Watch Nike+ if he’s a serious fitness nut.) And when watchOS 5 rolls out this fall, it’ll feel like a new watch all over again.

To read this article in full, please click here

World reacts to North Korea Summit

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 06:18

President Trump tweeted confidence in his gamble on Kim Jong Un after the historic summit in Singapore, but critics are accusing him of giving up too much. ABC News' Tara Palmeri reports.


Libratone Track+ wireless headphone review: Automated adaptive noise cancelling done right

Macworld - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 06:00
You choose how much of the world to let in or keep out, or have the headphones do it for you automatically based on your surroundings and motion.

Would Apple ever make a convertible MacBook?

Macworld - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 06:00

We’ve heard it straight from Apple: macOS and iOS aren’t merging together. Instead, Apple is going to bring the iOS app platform to the Mac in 2019. The result will likely be a macOS platform that’s still the Mac, but with a much heavier influence from iOS.

Last week I suggested that this makes me question the long-term viability of the Mac, but it’s also possible that Apple’s moves will lead to a world where I stop dreaming about a laptop that runs iOS because it just won’t be necessary. It all depends on how much all that iOS-originated software will change the Mac in the next few years.

To read this article in full, please click here

Kremlin says all welcome when asked about U.S. World Cup invite

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 04:58

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Wednesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin would be glad to host everyone in Moscow, when asked if he would invite high-ranking U.S. officials. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was responding to a journalist who asked if Putin would invite officials from North America to Moscow if the United States won a bid to host a future soccer World Cup. On Friday Russian state news agency RIA cited a diplomatic source as saying Moscow and Washington were discussing a possible meeting between Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump. ...


World Cup: More than 1,200 UK football hooligans blocked from flying to Russia

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 04:57

Dozens of football hooligans have failed to surrender their passports ahead of Thursday's World Cup opening ceremony, raising fears they could attempt to travel to Russia. Police are now visiting known hooligans who have yet to hand over their travel documents in a bid to ensure they remain at home. Latest Home Office figures show that 58 people banned from travelling to the World Cup have not surrendered their passports since the exclusion period began on June 4. Of the 1,312 individuals subject to football banning orders preventing them from travelling to overseas games, 1,254 have either handed over the documents voluntarily, been forced to do so or did not have a passport in the first place. Police are in place at UK ports to stop any suspected troublemakers trying to get to  to the tournament, which promises to open with a spectacular ceremony at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium. Officials say they are confident that few, if any, hooligans will succeed in getting to Russia, and if they do they will be met by a huge security operation. Nick Hurd , Minister for Policing and the Fire Service said: "The World Cup is a festival of football and is no place for violence or disorder. “The UK’s system of football banning orders is unique and means that people intent on causing trouble in Russia will instead be staying at home.” Metal detectors and security near the entrance to Red Square, Moscow Credit: Aaron Chown /PA Football banning orders lasting up to 10 years aim to stop hooligans travelling to international fixtures and if breached can lead to a fine of up to £5,000 and a six-month jail term. Officials will be keen to avoid a repeat of scenes at Euro 2016 in France, when England fans were involved in violent clashes, including with Russia supporters. Around 10,000 fans are expected to travel from the UK to Russia in the coming days, with each required to have a unique fan number allowing them access to the games. There is a large police presence in parts of Moscow, with airport-style scanners and searches in operation around Luzhniki Stadium ahead of kick off. Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the UK’s national lead for football policing, said: “Ahead of the World Cup, a comprehensive policing operation has been in place across the country to account for passports of those on banning orders, which has once again seen only a handful of those outstanding. “The legislation used for banning orders is the most effective of its kind, and affords us the ability to ensure the vast majority of England supporters travelling to Russia are genuine fans who simply want to enjoy the tournament.” World Cup 2018 | The best of the Telegraph's coverage The warnings come after the head of the German football association said the German secret service had identified threats from terrorist groups intent on attacking the tournament. Reinhard Grindel, president of the DFB, admitted there was no guarantee fans would be safe from the threat from a lone-wolf extremist. He said: "We know from our secret service there a lot of videos from different terrorist groups which say they want to do something during the World Cup and they request their followers to do actions. "I think the security administration is so good that groups who were active will be seen and they will prevent a big terror act, but you can never, ever, say it is impossible for a lonesome terrorist to make something. He added: “It is clear that in a country like Russia you need security and it's in our interest, in the interests of our team, of our fans to have security. On the other hand it should not be so much that it overloads everything so we must find a wise, middle way." World Cup 2018 | Fixtures, groups, squads and more Mr Grindel, who was in Moscow for the Fifa Congress which on Wednesday awarded the 2026 World Cup to a joint bid from Canada, Mexico and the US, suggested the British government’s boycott of the World Cup was “unwise”. Officials from the English FA and British Government and Royal Family are not expected to be present, following the attempted assassination of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury in March. But Mr Grindel said: "If you play in Russia, this is not similar to supporting everything Mr (Vladimir) Putin is politically doing, but the point is to build bridges between the civil societies.”


55 People, Some Children, Have Been Found in a Tractor-Trailer in Texas

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 04:45

Homeland Security is investigating the incident


Should California Really Be 3 States? Voters Will Decide In November.

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 04:34

A dramatic proposal to split California into three separate states has


High-Climbing Raccoon Finally Reaches Top Of St. Paul Skyscraper And America Exhales

Top Stories - Wed, 06/13/2018 - 04:19

A raccoon who captured the nation's attention by climbing 20 stories up the


Pages

Subscribe to www.cafe52.com aggregator